Thursday 23 December 2010

Waqt Ne Kiya Kya Haseen Sitam...

Last couple of days I was drawn to the cinema and music from the era 40-60. While looking at all the movies and the rise of spectacular music director S.D Burman I was sidetracked by the life story of Guru Dutt and Geeta Dutt.

Started listening to the songs of movies Pyasa and Kaagaz ke phool. The Song  Waqt ne Kiya has since haunted me. Agreed I have listened to this song many times before. Who wouldn't after it being one of the all time bests but this time it just took my breath away. May be the circumstances, the gloomy weather, the life story of Dutt's or may be all of them combined has this effect on me. But whatever is the reason, I think finally I have come to find the real soul of this song.

What a haunting voice of Geetaji.The song seems to reverberate with her life and tragedies. What an unhappy marriage and alcohol can do to people.

Waqt ne kiya kya haseen sitam
Tum rahe na tum ham rahe na ham
Waqt ne kiya…

Beqaraar dil is tarha mile
jis tarha kabhi ham juda na the
Tum bhi kho gaye, ham bhi kho gaye
Ek raah par chalke do qadam
Waqt ne kiya…

Jaayenge kaha sujhta nahi
chal pade magar raasta nahi
Kya talaash hai kuchh pata nahi
Bun rahe hain dil khaab dam-ba-dam
Waqt ne kiya…

No comments:

Post a Comment